Vaughan Williams, Norman Del Mar, The City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra And Chorus - Toward The Unknown Region; Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis; Five Variants Of "Dives And Lazarus"; Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 In E Minor
- Vaughan Williams
- Toward The Unknown Region; Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis; Five Variants Of "Dives And Lazarus"; Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 In E Minor
- FLAC, MP3
Type: CD, Album, Reissue
Date of released:
Category: Classical, Folk, World, & Country
Style: Folk, Neo-Classical, Neo-Romantic br>
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 In E Minor||9:38|
|2||Five Variants Of "Dives And Lazarus"||11:33|
Toward The Unknown Region
Chorus – The City Of Birmingham Symphony Chorus*Chorus Master – Nicholas CleoburyWords By – Walt Whitman
|4||Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis||14:20|
- Manufactured By – Victor Musical Industries, Inc.
- Manufactured For – Varèse Sarabande Records, Inc.
- Recorded By – Soundstream
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Chalfont Records Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Chalfont Records Inc.
- Recorded At – Great Hall, University Of Birmingham
- Composed By – Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Conductor, Liner Notes – Norman Del Mar
- Executive-Producer – Charles P. Britton, Thomas A. Britton*
- Liner Notes – Malcolm Walker
- Orchestra – The City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra*
- Producer, Engineer [Balance] – Brian B. Culverhouse*
- Technician [Prepared For Release On Compact Disc By] – Tom Null
- Transferred By [Digital - JVC Disc, Inc.], Edited By [Digital - JVC Disc, Inc.] – Daniel Hersch*
NotesJapan-for-U.S. Varèse Sarabande CD reissue of original Andante LP configuration (AD 72404), featuring 1980 Soundstream digital recordings, by Norman Del Mar and the City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra Chorus, of selected works by Ralph Vaughan Williams. The packaging features an eight-page booklet with liner notes by Malcolm Walker , a brief autobiographical note by the conductor, a brief (uncredited!) biographical note about the same, the Walt Whitman text featured in "Toward The Unknown Region," a brief note concerning the recording, and color front and back covers, the former featuring a reproduction of a painting by an unidentified artist, and the latter featuring a photo of the composer.
A Varèse Sarabande digital recording.
These performances were recorded direct to two-channel Soundstream digital in the Great Hall, University Of Birmingham, England on August 20 and 21, 1980.
Track 2 is composed for "Strings in Ten Parts and Harp"; Track 3 is described as a "Song for Chorus and Orchestra"; and Track 4 is composed for "Double String Orchestra with Solo Quartet."
The title of the overall release is given in complete form on the booklet and inlay card, but is abbreviated as "Toward The Unknown Region" on the CD label and spine; also, the title of Track 4 is given [correctly!] as "Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis" on the booklet and inlay card, and as "Fantasia On A Theme Of Thomas Tallis" on CD label -- the former of each has been used in the respective Title and Tracklisting sections as per [g3.1.3.]
The use of the "Album" tag as per [g6.10.]b) declared by Varèse Sarabande -- please see submission notes for the appropriate link, if desired!
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: none
- Matrix / Runout: VCD-47248-1-U1E12
- Mastering SID Code: none
- Mould SID Code: none